Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

  • Experiencing a Utility Outage or Cell Service Disruption?

    First, call your service provider to report the issue.  If you have a complaint about the customer service you received from your provider, contact the PUC's Consumer Services office.
  • Need help paying your phone or broadband bill?

    See if you qualify for the Oregon Lifeline program.
  • Customers Experiencing High Utility Bills

      Customers may experience higher than normal energy bills due to winter temperatures. More

PUC Meetings & Resources Hot Topics
Public Meetings
Public Meeting History

Public Meeting Archive - Information, Audio and Video Files

PUC Resources

Map and Directions