Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Telecommunication Devices Access Program (TDAP)

What is TDAP?

The Telecommunication Devices Access Program (TDAP) is a state government program that loans specialized communications equipment at no cost and with no income guidelines to eligible Oregon residents who have a disability in:

  • hearing
  • vision
  • speech
  • mobility
  • cognition

Note: State law limits one device per applicant. Two devices may be provided if more than one eligible person lives in a household.

What is specialized communication equipment?

Devices designed to support the needs of a person with a particular disability. It includes corded or cordless amplified phones, captioned phones, TTYs, big button phones, speakerphones, electrolarynxes, cell phones, tablets, or speech generating devices.

Available equipment

Equipo disponible

Available Speech Generating Devices

How do I qualify?

You must be an Oregon resident, age 4 and up, agree to the conditions, and have one of the following professionals certify your disability as long as it is within the scope of their practice.  For example, a speech-language pathologist certifies an individual’s speech disability.

  • Licensed Physicians
  • Naturopathic Physician
  • Physician Assistant
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
  • Audiologist
  • Hearing Aid Specialist
  • Speech-Language Pathologist
  • Optometrist
  • Ophthalmologist
  • Rehabilitation Instructor of the Blind

How do I apply?

Note: Complete the speech generating device application if you plan to use iOS equipment as a speech generating device.

What happens after I apply?

TDAP staff will verify your eligibility. You will receive a letter in the mail with the status of your application. The letter will also list estimated shipping timeframes. Most equipment is delivered to your house within 2 to 6 weeks. Someone will need to be available to sign for the equipment delivery.

I don't see the equipment I need, are there options?

Write on your application the type of equipment you need. Include an attachment explaining why you need this type of equipment. You will receive a letter in the mail with the status of your request.

Do you provide in-home training?

We only provide in-home training on the captioned phone at this time.

What if my device stops working or is malfunctioning?

Contact the vendor to troubleshoot. The vendor's contact information is on the equipment package. If the vendor is unable to resolve the issue, they will refer you to us for an exchange.

I plan to travel or live outside of Oregon for part of the year, may I take the equipment with me?

Yes. If you plan to be away for more than 90 days, contact us for written permission.

What do I do if my equipment is lost or stolen?

Contact us immediately. If the equipment has been stolen, file a report with your local law enforcement within 24 hours of the time the theft is discovered and provide us with a copy of the report within 5 days.

I am no longer using the equipment or I am moving out of Oregon. What should I do?

  • Call 1-800-848-4442 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to request a prepaid shipping label.
  • Email puc.rspf@state.or.us with the customer's name and mailing address or email to which you'd like the prepaid return label sent.

How do I let others know about the program?

Download the TDAP application​ and brochure to encourage others in the community to take advantage of the many benefits of the program.